Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Son Alexei's First Tournament

I am going to repeat a post I originally placed on the Daily Dirt site on October 27, 2007:

Sorry, I know some won't have any interest in this, but I am such a proud father! Today my youngest son played in his first chess tournament. It was played in Hafnarfjordur, Iceland where we live. It was an 8 round blitz event, 7 minutes per player and it was an open event for youth and retirees. Naturally for the first round they paired my son, Alexei, against the oldest player, 88 years old, since Alex was the youngest by far at only 7. Alex played adults twice and lost both of those, but he did very well otherwise, scoring 4 out of 8. He tied with three 9 year olds for 1st in the 7-9 age group, though since Alex was the only 7 year old they awarded him a special medal for his fine result. I took some photos:







No comments: