Thursday, March 15, 2018

1st Place in Old Fort Bay Invitational 2018

It has been a long time since I have posted on here, primarily because I haven't played any chess since last year's victory at the Nassau Cup Invitational. I should have put up blog posts about the games I have played since coming to the Bahamas, and hopefully I will do so fairly soon.

A year after winning the inaugural event, I played in its new incarnation, now called the Old Fort Bay Invitational. It is truly a great event, and I am so grateful for the terrific original sponsors, along with the new sponsors who have grown the prize fund to $4000 this year.
photo by Andre White
I was very nervous going in, because I hadn't played any chess since this same event last year. I had wanted to play more chess, but for some reason Bahamas chess decided to run most of their events at a faster time control this past year, and I don't like faster time controls. Luckily, this event is in the standard FIDE time control.

Last year I won with 7/10, that being seven wins and three losses. This year I did even better with 8/10 and no losses. That's six wins and four draws. The competition was tough, so I'm really proud to escape unscathed. Like I said, I'll try to come out with some posts in the near future showing games from here in the Bahamas, especially since some of these games were really instructive.

No comments: